Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Friday, January 28, 2011

A Couple Challenges

I love my little boy so much. My preemie prince as I call him. But sometimes he just gives me (and Dean)challenges in which I just throw my hands up and say "I don't know what to do". Now I will say, this is probably a cake walk compared to what other people might go through with their child (or children), for instance children with autism but I wanted to blog about it for the reasons I blog about everything else...so I can look back and see what Ryan (and us) have overcome.

We've had this issue with him not wanting to go to bed for a while now. He could be ready to fall asleep downstairs or just snuggled up with Dean or I in the recliner but as soon as he gets in his room, he's wide awake and ready to play. We'll let him potty, brush his teeth & then read books and then it's lights out. Not 5 minutes after we close the door, he's out of bed, opens the door and the procrastination starts. He needs to potty again. He needs a tissue for his runny nose. OR it's nothing at all.  It all started around November when we fell back an hour for daylight savings time. Luckily for us, this was around the time when Christmas and "Santa" was everywhere. So, eventually every night when we put Ryan to bed, we would tell him that he needed to be a good boy and stay in bed if he wanted Santa to come and bring him presents (yes, I know bribery is probably bad but we were desperate). This worked mostly every night. Now that Christmas is over, he's at it again. Sometimes it's a full hour after we've turned out the lights, that he finally settles down and goes to sleep. We're at the point of starting the bedtime routine at 6:45 if we can, since it takes at least 15 minutes to potty, brush teeth and read 100 books (okay maybe not that many but sometimes it seems like it). Going to sleep prior to 8 pm wasn't an issue before he started daycare since most days my mom would come watch him so he didn't need to be up early but he goes to daycare 3 days a week so he needs to be up by 6..6:15 at the very latest. So when he doesn't go to sleep when it's bedtime, that makes for a very difficult & stressful morning since he doesn't want to get up. If he does get up on time, then it's a slow go. I'm hoping this is just another phase and it ends soon or that other mama's will have suggestions for me..hint hint!

So now that Ryan is potty trained, he refuses to wear pull-ups. Now that makes us so estastic but I thought we'd be able to keep him in them at night since he's not night trained. He doesn't wake up at night..until it's too late. We haven't had to get up every night to change his sheets but it's more nights than not. His teacher suggested GoodNights which are similar to pull-ups in the amount of moisture it holds but is suppose to be closer to underwear in the toddler's eyes. I guess we'll be trying those and hope they work. I'll definitely post once we try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment