Most days I wonder where Ryan gets his energy from. He is going to 1/2 day preschool 3 times a week and gets a nap once my mom (aka Nana) picks him up so I suppose that's why he's recharged by the time Dean and I get home from work. The past couple nights he's been extra energized that we can hardly get him to calm down to read books and go to bed. We discovered yogurt smoothies in the grocery store and bought them the last two weeks and that's all Ryan has wanted with every meal since..actually he goes in the fridge and helps himself to them at every opportunity, first wanting the red one (strawberry), then the yellow one (banana), then another red one and this is where we have to draw the line. "No Ryan, you've already had 2 you can't have anymore" and that statement ends up with a tantrum from our pint sized yogurt smoothie fan. With the yogurt smoothies we realized, they helped with his extra energy so I've had to hide them in the back of the fridge in hopes that Ryan won't be pulling everything out to try and find them! We'll see.
With so much energy sometimes comes the frustration that I wish he would just calm down and go to sleep. I like to have a couple hours to myself before I have to go to bed so having Ryan in bed and asleep by 8 is my goal. We've been potty training the past couple weeks so every night, we let Ryan potty before getting in bed but what happens after the lights are out and he's suppose to be trying to go to sleep? "I need to potty" comes from his bedroom. I can't deny the boy from pottying so I open the gate so he can run in the bathroom to potty...even if it's just a tinkle we have to go through the whole routine of flushing the toilet and washing his hands. Oh the washing of the hands...a whole post in itself. Let's just say that tests my patience A LOT! Some times are better than other times. Thankfully at night he's usually apt to just wash his hands and not play in the water. My mind often replays the Darius Rucker song "It Won't Be Like This For Long" when I get frustrated and I then try and relish in the moment. Listen to this if you have the time:
OH. I remember the handwashing! I had forgotten! I don't know how since it was so frustrating to me at the time.
ReplyDeleteMy guy also loves those yogurt smoothies!!