Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Thursday, July 29, 2010

3 year stats!

Ryan had his 3 year well baby appt. Wednesday and his stats are:

Weight: 32lbs. (slightly under 50% tile)
Height: 38" (slightly above 50% tile)

He was measuring 38 1/2" at the surgeon's office in early June but I remembered that was with his shoes on and the nurse at the pedi office was real particular with how straight he was standing and made sure his head was straight. He's tall enough for one of the other kiddie rides at the theme park now (but we knew that already because he went on it while on vacation!)

He had a vision & hearing test which surprised me. For the vision test they had a chart with symbols on it (just like the adult charts with letters) and the nurse stood about 8ft. away and had Ryan tell her the shapes on the line second to the bottom. He did great with following directions for that (holding one hand over one eye, telling her the shapes etc) except for some reason he didn't want to say the "star" shape. Eventually, he got it out though. For the hearing test the nurse took a handheld device and placed it in his ear then told him to tell her "beep" everytime he heard a noise. Well, that didn't happen. I expected him to blurt out "what's dat?" because that's what he says everytime he hears a noise but he just sat there. His eyes would get wider or his eye brows would go up so that's what the nurse went with. So, he can see & hear..yay!

We finally got to see his pediatrician that he's seen since he came home from the NICU. She had a preemie herself so I value her opinion a lot. We were suppose to see another pedi. the day after Ryan left the NICU but when we got to the office, they didn't have Ryan down for an appt. and that pedi.was already backed up. Hence, why we had to see Dr. C. I think it was meant to be. She's been so good with him (and with us--all of our questions/concerns that comes with having a preemie) and did not mind at all that we chose to delay some vaccinations. The past two well check ups, she's had emergencies come up and we've had to see another pedi so I'm glad we were finally able to see her this time. She told us he can be switched to 2% milk since he doesn't need the extra fat from whole milk, which is good because I don't mind using that (in recipes). We can contact the dentist anytime to have Ryan's teeth checked out so I'll probably do that once I slow down at work and she thinks he'll come along soon with potty training is not concerned at all. She thought it was quite funny that he is pretty much fully pee trained while we are out and about (he loves to go in all the bathrooms when we're shopping/running errands) but not at home..usually it's the other way around. If I had time to stay at home for a long weekend I would just put him in underwear or let him run around naked, but I don't so I'm just going with the approach that he'll do it on his own when he's ready. There's no pressure really since he's not going to preschool (the one we had him in this past year required them to be PT'd at 3). The daycare we are sending him to 3 days a week in September doesn't require them and will definitely help out. He did get the MMR vaccine which we had delayed. Actually all his shots were delayed by 2 months in the beginning but when he got to a year old, we just didn't feel like he needed the 12-18 month shots that the CDC recommends which are the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Varicella (Chickenpox) & 2 doses of the Hep A. He wasn't in daycare or preschool at the time so we delayed them. At his 2 year appt. he got the first dose of the Hep A and we did intend to go back a couple months later and get the second dose and then eventually the MMR & Varicella but then he started getting those never ending colds that as you have read, didn't get resolved until he had his adenoids removed in early June. So, we'll go back in a couple weeks to get the second dose of the Hep A and then sometime before daycare starts, we'll get him the Varicella. He didn't cry at all when he got the shot but did say "my boo boo hurts". I'm sure it was sore.

We've been taking Ryan to Vacation Bible School in the evening this week so it's been nice to have some quiet time to ourselves..although we've run errands & cleaned up a bit both nights. We ate at Chick-fil-A one night and it just happened to be kids night..haha! But it was still nice not to have to share our food (he gets his own but Dean gives him pickles off his sandwich and I give him tomatoes & cheese & croutons off my side salad). Hopefully I can get to the vacation post with pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment