Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day 2010

Besides being hot & humid outside, this Father’s day was very nice & uneventful inside (well other than my flopped angel food cake-more on that later). We are even more thankful this year because of what happened a few weeks ago to my dad and the fact that everything turned out OK. I let Dean sleep in and later in the morning Ryan and I ran an errand for a while to let Dean have a little peace and quiet. We vegged out and I made an angel food cake to take to my parent’s house. I had bought an angel food cake pan and according to the directions on the one step angel food cake mix, after taking it out of the oven I was to “immediately invert the pan onto a glass jar”. Despite this being quite odd to me, I did what the directions told me to do…because I follow directions! Well, as soon as I flipped the pan over the whole cake fell out of it into pieces onto the counter. So much for following those directions! Luckily it was early enough in the day where I could run out and get another cake mix and make it again..this time not following the directions on the box and just letting it cool on a wired cooling rack. I added crushed pineapple to the mix and it turned out to be delicious!


My brother has a golden retriever puppy named Baxter and Ryan adores him. Every time we say we are going to see my brother, Ryan asks for Baxter. Since my brother was obviously going to be at my parent’s house, we assumed Baxter would be too. So, as soon as my brother arrived, Ryan started looking for Baxter but he wasn’t there. My brother had been on a short overnight trip and had taken Baxter so he had left him at home to snooze and get cooled off. We told Ryan we were sorry but Baxter was at home sleeping and Ryan just got really quiet. He was staring at my brother with the most pitiful look and then started tearing up. He came over to me and snuggled with me and we all assured him we would see Baxter soon and he got up and started playing around again. As you can see in these pictures he was pretty happy all day.

wearing his "Dad's my Super Hero" shirt

Daddy & Ryan with the same expression!



By the time we got home and got Ryan changed into his PJ’s, books read, he went to the potty one last time and light turned out it was almost 9:00. He’s been doing the “I need to potty” thing all week, after we put him to bed. Of course, I can’t deny him going to the potty…after all, that’s what the ultimate goal is. So, even though we let him potty before putting him to bed, we can always be assured he will need to go again once he’s in bed and suppose to be trying to go to sleep. So I can safely say it was well after 9 before he finally went to sleep and guess who didn’t want to get up this morning? Of course, the morning we NEED to get up early to get out of the house on time, Ryan doesn’t want to. OH, and that room darkening shade we bought a couple weeks ago works on keeping the light out but doesn’t work on keeping Ryan’s internal clock asleep. He still wakes up between 5:30-5:45..except this morning!

1 comment:

  1. I was really hoping for pictures of the cake.

    Sounds like you guys had a good father's day.

    ReplyDelete