Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect
Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect
Saturday, October 10, 2009
MRI
Ryan had his MRI Friday at the Children's Hospital, but of course they don't give you the results. We have to call the doctor on Monday to let him know the test was done and I am guessing to make a follow up appt. with him (the Neuro.). Dean and I both have a feeling nothing was found. The test seemed to go fairly quick. We got there at the crack of dawn..well, almost. It was early though. By the time I did the necessary paperwork, they took us back, got Ryan's vitals and put the IV in his hand, an hour & 45 minutes had gone by. Then there was a little more waiting before the nurse & anesthesiologist were ready to administer the medicine that would put Ryan to sleep. Oh boy, let me just say, he did not go to sleep without a fight! I held him and the nurse put the sleepy time medicine in his IV. They had 4 vials and they ended up using 3. The nurse commented that the former NICU patients usually put up a fight which I totally believe and understand why they would. Once he was asleep, we had to leave and went to get a drink & look around in the gift shop. I used to like going into the gift shop if I had the time before going up to the NICU. Most of the time I didn't buy anything but the inventory seemed to changed every couple weeks and they always had cute baby items I wouldn't see anywhere else. The test took about 90 minutes and he was awake by the time we got to the recovery room. I must say, the nurse that was with him the whole time was a doll. She was so nice & Ryan took to her right away. When we first went back to get his vitals, she was sitting at the desk doing his paperwork. She started talking to him and as soon as his vitals were done, he got down from my lap and went right over to her and sat in her lap! Yep, he's such a flirt! hehe.. When he woke up after the MRI, he was just as calm as a clam. She gave him some graham crackers & juice. After a little while, they let us go. Once we got home he was still very unstable from all the medication. He couldn't do much of anything and for Ryan that was not acceptable. He had a total meltdown that lasted an hour before he finally fell asleep in my arms. He only slept an hour which was not long enough for the medicine to wear off. He was still stumbling around ao we had to hold him or get him to try and sit down. For someone who is very active, this was pure hell. It was not easy for us to see Ryan so upset. By late afternoon we were all exhausted but thankfully the medicine had worn off enough and Ryan was able to get back to playing with his cars, trucks and other toys. Today was a complete turnaround & he was back to his normal self. I just hope he doesn't have to be sedated for anything else anytime soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment