Change is in the air. Not only from Summer to Fall but in our house as well. Ryan is becoming more adventurous. He has started climbing on most anything he can, when we’re not watching. The kitchen table is the most recent so we are forced to put our “junk” elsewhere. He is also thinking about climbing out of his crib. Naptimes are when we have caught him. We peek through the crack in the door and he throws all his things out of his crib (paci, lovie, musical giraffe). Then he stands up on his tiptoes and starts to put his leg up on the rail. He doesn’t do it every time but he has done it. Of course he knows how to do it, since a few months ago he DID climb out of his crib. Since then, he has not tried it again because it probably scared him. Now that he is becoming more adventurous, I don’t want him being successful again and possibly hurting himself. Definitely within the next couple months, maybe even weeks, we are going to have to switch Ryan to a toddler bed. I am dreading it. Seriously. It not only means I have to come to terms that my baby is growing up, but it means that we will need to change his room to be Ryan friendly. I know change is good in most cases but my problem is actually doing it. I hate change, which makes me a procrastinator in doing things I really don’t want to do but am forced to do. It won’t be as simple as just switching his convertible crib to the toddler bed. Oh no. Anything that Ryan will be able to climb on, in or under will have to be secured to the wall or be removed from the room. Most, if not all of his books and toys will have to be put in the closet at least at first. If we leave his toys and books out for him to access, I’m sure he would never go to sleep. Like I said earlier, “Ryan friendly”. I’m a google fanatic so of course I’ve been reading up on how to make the transition a smooth one. The one thing I have yet to find is how to secure floor or table lamps. There is no overhead lighting in Ryan’s room, so right now we have a floor lamp and two table lamps. Dean is thinking about putting up an overhead light & fan but we haven’t gotten to the “putting it into action” phase..it’s still just a thought. Yes, I could be overthinking everything and Ryan could be an angel and transition very well but I always need a plan… just in case.
We had Ryan’s physical therapy appointment yesterday. It was basically getting to know Ryan and assessing him and our concerns. After doing an evaluation on him, the therapist did recommend therapy once a week and that we go ahead and get him fitted for the night splint for his left leg. I’m not thrilled about the night splint, since he’s such a great sleeper and I’d hate for anything to interfere with him getting a good night sleep but if it will help with the stiffness in that leg and with him not toe walking then I’m all for it. I think he is going to have a great time at therapy, since it’s a new environment. They have a big room with all the toys and equipment a child could dream of. We went in there so the PT could assess Ryan walking up and down steps (he has difficulty descending stairs and will not do it without holding on to one of us—he will literally sit down and cry or throw a tantrum) and Ryan just went from toy to toy.
Last weekend we all got our hair cuts. Even Ryan. Not that his hair was long, but it did need to be trimmed up top. He was starting to look like he stuck his hand in a socket because it was sticking up and poofy! The first time we got his hair cut we went to a kid salon that had special chairs for the little ones to sit in such as a fire truck or an airplane and they also had a DVD playing. Ryan loved it but it's not that close to where we live so unless we're over in that area again, we probably won't have it cut there anymore. Not much scares Ryan so I felt confident he would be fine with just sitting in the chair on a booster. Our stylist gave him a lolipop (his first one by the way!) and he just sat there and let her cut.


On another note, I’m going out of town for a couple nights and leaving the boys to themselves. I’ll probably come back to a house full of new hot wheels cars and a few other toys Dean decided that Ryan had to have! Ha! I’m looking forward to a couple days away but boy, I’m going to miss my baby..make that babies-the hubby & child!
Anthony use to freak out with the trike as well. But then one day he asked for it and i gave it another try and now he's fine with it. Yeah he still can't reach the pedals. A couple more inches.
ReplyDeleteKim