Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The sickies got us!

Has it really been 3 weeks since my last blog post? Grrr..Well, I do have an excuse for the last almost 2 weeks..either Ryan or I have been sick. Ryan started getting sick again almost 2 weeks ago and woke up that Friday and vomited. That evening he developed a rash that went away as quickly as it came. The whole weekend, the rash would come and go. Then on Sunday, he developed goopy eyes and his cough and congestion got worse. My mom kept him on Monday and when I picked him up, he was just laying on the couch and I could tell he was miserable. I called the pedi after hours line and after over an hour, the nurse finally called me back and told me to bring him in since the rash could be strep. Took him in and the pedi, whom I did not care for, passed it off as a virus and gave him an antibiotic for his pink eye. I was pretty mad because this is the same pedi we saw about 3 weeks ago when he the snotty nose and was coughing pretty constantly and she passed it off as a virus that would go away...well it didn't! So, fast forward to Wednesday..2 days later and I'm taking him in the pedi office again! Ryan had been coughing for the past 2 days. Wednesday he woke up without a fever so I thought that was pretty good. But, throughout the morning his coughing would not stop. He just layed in the recliner, while I layed on the couch (at this point, I was starting to get sick). I checked his temp. around lunchtime and it was 103 degrees. I called the pedi and they told me to bring him in and I made sure I got an appt. with another pedi. In fact, it was a nurse practitioner. I told her what had been going on and she saw his records that we had been in 2 days before but to her, something else seemed to wrong, other than a "virus". So, she ordered chest x-rays and blood work. She thought that maybe his bronchitis was coming back even though his lungs sounded okay. That evening, they called and said something I wasn't really expecting, that he had the start of pneumonia! What?? I was pretty livid. Especially since we had been in there twice within 17 days, the most recent, just 2 nights before! Now that he's been on the inhaler and strong antibiotic, he's much better. We've of course kept him out of daycare and not taken him to any of his therapy appointments, which has definitely been hard. Only because I've been sick and my mom has been sick. I could hardly make it out of bed on Friday and swore I had the flu so I had my dad take me to the doctor. Since I had no fever, they passed it off as a flu-like virus that apparently is around (I know at least 6 people who have it or recently had it). It takes 7-10 days to run it's course and boy has it been a longgggg 7-10 days. It's day 7 and I'm just starting to feel better. The coughing is the worst. My stomach feels like it's been punched numerous times by a boxing professional, not to mention I pulled a muscle from coughing so hard & often. I did get to go to my fetal non-stress test this week, so Sweet Pea is doing just fine. I know she's tired from me coughing all the time too...it's messing up her sleep pattern.

Hopefully, this weekend we will be feeling better and I can get some pictures taken. We started cleaning & organizing the future nursery, our bedroom and Ryan's room a couple weekends ago so we need to finish that up so we (Dean) can put the crib together. Can't believe I'll be 35 weeks on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about all the sickness, but YAY for 35 weeks!!!! Can't wait to see pics of her. And very excited to find out her name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, well I'm totally behind, and wanted to check and see how you were doing. 35 weeks just gave me goosebumps! Congrats!!!! I can't wait to see pics when she gets here in 2-3 more week!!

    ReplyDelete