Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Friday, September 24, 2010

3 years ago

September 24, 2007 was a special day. Dean and I woke up early knowing we would probably be going to the NICU to see Ryan for the last time. I was happy..well elated, but still cautious because it's not over til it's over as they say. I couldn't truly believe that he was coming home until we actually got home. Dean and I had our CPR training at the hospital that morning which gave us a good laugh..not that it's a laughing matter. It was more of getting through the training. The room we were in was a small conference room and it was so hot in there. Anyone that knows Dean is aware he's hot natured, so of course sweat was pouring off of him..onto the baby doll! I know, ewww gross, but at the time it was pretty funny. While we were in training, Ry was getting his circumcision and the nurses were getting all the paperwork together for us to sign. Finally, after everything was signed & we got our certificates for the CPR training, Ryan was taken off all the monitors for the first time in 69 days.We were allowed to change him into his going home outfit and make our way home!


It's really hard to believe it's been 3 years. Time has gone by fast and it's amazing to look back and see how far Ryan has come. He was 5  lbs. 5 oz when he came home and he's now 32 lbs. Yes, he's still in therapy for low  muscle tone, but for the most part he's doing most things a typical 3 year old does. We are so proud of our little man and September 24th will always be special to us. I cried on July  21, 2007 because I had to leave the hospital without my baby and those were tears of heartache.  I also cried on September 24, 2007 because we finally got to come home as a family!


2 comments:

  1. Awwww...he was such a sweet little baby! I know the memories we have of our kids are probably strange to others, but this one is ALWAYS worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at him! He was an absolute doll!
    He looks like he knows what is going on! I am glad you celebrate this day!

    ReplyDelete