Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

We had a nice Mother's Day weekend. Saturday we were able to spend time with my mother-in-law despite Ryan not feeling 100%. His congestion is pretty bad and doesn't seem to be getting any better even though I'm trying to keep his nose cleared out by using the nasal aspirator, saline rinse every night & decongestant drops. We have an appt. with an ENT doctor Friday so hopefully he can hang in there until then. He's not running a fever or coughing too much..it's just the snotty nose. It was bad enough Saturday that he spit up a couple times but he was his normal self afterwards...just playing with his cars. His appetite or lack there of is getting me a little stressed. He hasn't had much of one since being on the antibiotic but I thought once that we were done with that, his appetite would come back. Nope. Some days are better than others but it's still a struggle. I know most toddlers go through this..they'll eat a lot one day and not very much the next so I'm trying to resign to the fact that he'll eat when he's hungry and at dinner at least get him to eat his protein. Breakfast which is the most important meal of the day isn't high on his priority list. He loves yogurt so at least most days he will eat that with a little oatmeal. Like I said, some days are better than others..sometimes we can get him to eat a few bites of a waffle, pancake, an egg omelet, sausage or hash browns. If anyone has any ideas on how to get him to eat more or what other foods to try I'm all ears!

Sunday, Dean let me sleep in for a bit and then I was greeted with him and Ryan coming in giving me my Mother's Day cards. Ryan helped me open them and he told me he "color brown"...He had colored on the inside of the card he gave me. We had doughnuts for breakfast (a very rare treat for sure since I'm not much of a doughnut person) and lounged around in the morning since we opted out of going to church (because of Ryan's snotty nose). We met my parents & brother for lunch and then Ryan took a 3 hour nap. He pushed me off the couch (where he naps) but I still managed to get comfy on the floor and dozed off for about an hour. As for my Mother's Day gift...well it's not here yet. I found a Mother's bracelet that I wanted so Dean ordered that for me so it will be about another week before I get it. As soon as I get it, I'll post the website and a picture of it (I need to make sure it's worthy of mentioning).

I love being a mother. Sometimes I wish Dean and I had not waited 5 years after we were married to have a child. Maybe I would be a mother to more than one by now. But, I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. There's a reason Dean and I didn't have children as soon as we married. There's a reason Ryan was born early. Do I know those reasons? I don't know all of the reasons, but I do know that Ryan is the joy of my life and that I treasure each and every day. I treasure they fact that despite being born early, he is perfect. I treasure the fact that he can run, jump, climb and is now talking more and more each day. Happy Mother's Day to me!


Here's a recent clip of him playing in the morning..
he so much energy even at 6 am he can
push chairs in from the kitchen!




1 comment: