Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Seriously???

It seems like all I ever write about is Ryan being sick! We sure are paying for the first 2 years of his life when he wasn't sick. Thursday my mom called me in the afternoon and said he had been vomiting since after he woke up from his nap (after he came home from preschool). So I went and got him. At that point he had been vomiting every 10 minutes for 2 hours. We got in my car and my mom sat in the backseat and my dad followed me to my house...in order for my mom to get back home. We got home and by the time we got him settled on the couch, tons of towels and blankets around him and within arms reach of us, another hour had passed. I called the nurse at the pedi office and basically she told me that if it didn't slow down within another hour to take him to the ER because he would need an injection. She calmed my fears of him getting dehyrated, told me what to look for (sunken eyes, pinching the top of his hand) and if it did slow down, then wait 2 hours before offering him 1 or 2 tsp. of gatorade, pedialyte or water. Luckily, he fell asleep for an hour, woke up and vomited just bile and fell back asleep. When he woke up again we gave him 2 tsp of gatorade but he vomited that up within 15 minutes. He was restless on the couch so we took him up to our bed and he fell asleep for the duration of the night. He was somewhat restless which meant Dean and I didn't sleep very well, but at least he had stopped vomiting. By 4 am, he was very restless and wanted to go back to his own bed. He has never been a co-sleeper and he's got my concept of, there's nothing like your own bed! So, I put him in his bed and he went right back to sleep. He slept until almost 7 am and by mid-morning was playing with his cars and running from the kitchen to the den. We kept his diet bland but the poor guy was hungry. Once he woke up from his 3 hour (yay!) afternoon nap, he was starving. He asked for a waffle, pretzals, crackers & a baby mum. I gave him a little of each. By the time Dean and I ate dinner, Ryan wanted one of Dean's chicken tenders so I figured it was okay at that point. So, if he had to be sick again, I'm just thankful it only lasted less than 24 hours. The nice weather has continued and earlier this week, we went for a walk after we got home from work. Ryan loves to be outdoors and go walking around the lake here in the neighborhood.


future football star!

on the bench by the lake

stacking up everything in his shopping cart (the day after he was sick)

No comments:

Post a Comment