Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Friday, October 11, 2013

Prayer request

Last year I found an online support group for Mother's of Omphalocele babies. MOO's as the facebook group is known as, brings together not only mothers of Omphalocele children but fathers, grandparents, siblings and even adult survivors of Omphaloceles. I have come to rely on knowing that someone in that group will have answers or advice for my questions and I give my experience from Katelyn's "O" as well. We get to "know" each other pretty well and may even consider them like an extension of our family even though we have never met many of them in person. We share each other's joyous occasions like when our miracles start to walk but also share heartbreak such as losing a miracle child. In the past year I have come to know a mommy of twins. One of her twins, Elizabeth, was born with an Omphalocele like Katelyn. The twins were born on my birthday two years ago; just four months after Katelyn was born. Through her posts and pictures I got to know about her daughter and enjoyed seeing her sweet smiling face. She went through closer surgery several months ago and had a long hard recovery. Last week she was finally able to go home, play at the park with her sisters and they were trying to return to normalcy. Unfortunately, she developed a virus that she was unable to recover from and passed away suddenly Tuesday morning. I am beyond devastated for this family. I have cried and cried over this news and prayed for them countless times over the past several days. When Katelyn had her surgeon appointment a couple weeks ago, we talked about her closer surgery. The surgeon felt like she would be ready in a month or two but we chose to go ahead and wait until early summer. Dean and I do not want our child in the hospital during the winter months (think sickness) or near the holiday. She has already had croup once (last month) and I suspect it won't be the last time she is sick this winter. We want her as healthy as possible before and after surgery. So, when I heard about Elizabeth's passing, it just hit me like a ton of bricks and made me even more anxious about Katelyn's surgery. I know every person (child) is different and there were other circumstances that played into why she had such a long recovery but it is still scary. Please say many prayers for this family as they grieve and remember their precious little girl. Much love to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment