Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Friday, September 7, 2012

Kindergarten!

Ryan is now officially a Kindergartener! I was so nervous for him Tuesday and still am today but at least today I’m not crying. Yes, I shed a few tears Tuesday as we were driving to school and I about lost it when I walked out of his classroom and looked back to see him coloring at his table but I held out until I got in my car. We all worry about how our children will handle school but for a child like Ryan who has an auditory processing delay and is very shy in new situations, it’s an extraordinary amount of worry. Only time will tell if we made the right decision in starting him in public Kindergarten this year, but until then I will enjoy coming home from work and letting him tell me about his day.
When he got off the bus Tuesday, he was so excited. He ran up to my mom, Katelyn and I and was smiling from ear to ear. He was so happy that we were all there to greet him. When we asked him about his day, he proceeded to tell us everything he ate for breakfast and a snack, told us he colored a picture, painted a hand print and saw recess (I gather they took the class on a small tour to show them the playground). We then took him out for a special lunch and I got him a Lego car because he is really into building the different Lego vehicles that are out now.
His teacher seems very enthusiastic and eager to teach the younger kids. She has been teaching for 19 years but to 5th graders. There will be an open house in a couple weeks so we will learn more about what his day will consist of, what the expectations are and just have more one on one questions answered by the teacher. Since Kindergarten is only a half day, he will be riding the bus home and my mom will be watching both kids until I get home from work. Hopefully, she won’t go too insane! Ha-ha! Katelyn LOVES Ryan and will follow him around everywhere and want to play with whatever he is playing with or do whatever he is doing (eating, playing with his Leap Pad). While Ryan loves his sister as well, of course sometimes he just wants his space. He doesn’t like to be upstairs by himself but since he will be spending more time at home, he will need to get used to being upstairs or will have to go to the kitchen to play.
Speaking of Katelyn, she is getting 3 teeth in. The 2 beside her two front bottom teeth and a canine tooth up top. I haven’t checked in a few days but I think they may have all broken through. She definitely was in a better mood this week. I suspect her other 3 canine teeth are not far behind. Once she gets those, then she will have all her teeth except the 2 year molars. I guess some kind of stomach virus is going around. Ryan got sick Friday night as he was getting ready for bed and it lasted all through the night until around 4 in the morning. We actually thought it was food poisoning because he had a party at his daycare. However, yesterday afternoon Katelyn starting throwing up and it lasted until about 8pm. Thankfully, she slept through the night without throwing up and seemed to do well today with just eating bread, crackers, applesauce & drinking water & pedialyte. I gave her some yogurt tonight too. As much as I hate seeing my little girl sick, I have decided that maybe it’s a good opportunity to let go of the bottles. She drinks water from sippy cups but we’ve still been giving her bottles of milk at naptime and at night before bed. Tonight she whimpered for about 30 seconds and looked around while I rocked her but then calmed down. Let’s hope it continues to go just as smooth the next few nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment