Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Katelyn Grace!

Katelyn Grace blessed us with her presence Sunday, April 3rd weighing 5 lbs. 13 oz and was 18" long. I was 36 weeks & 6 days...1 day shy of being full term. I'm so thankful to have made it as far as I did though and Katelyn is just such a blessing and a proving that she too is a miracle.


She was born with an abdominal wall defect called an Omphalocele. Her liver, intestine and some bowel are outside of her body contained in a sac. We knew early on about this defect and had many many worries but all we could really do is pray and knew that God had a plan. So far, all tests that have been done on her such as a heart echo, kidney ultrasound and headscan have all come back normal! They started her on a tiny amount (3cc's or ml's which is comparable to a tsp.) of breast milk tonight and as of a couple hours ago, she kept it all down. Hopefully when I call after I write this, they will say, she still kept it down.

I think I will start a Caringbridge webpage for updates and pictures. It's a private website for anyone going through a health situtation. Apparently, once your done updating the site, you can have it printed into a book. I would love that for memory sake. I will try and work on that this weekend. If you'd like me to include you in on the people who can access that page, email me, comment here or if your reading this on FB, send me a message to my inbox.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Karen, congratulations! She is gorgeous. I hope she gets well soon. I am so thrilled you made it to 36 6! Thats amazing!!! I have goosebumps, tears and I'm super happy for you!

    ReplyDelete