Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Life with a 28 week preemie & his miracle sister born & living with an Omphalocele birth defect

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Waiting & Worrying

"Try not to worry" is what I tell myself and others tell me but as a mother how can you not worry? I do my day to day functions but everytime I look at Ryan something just tells me something is not right and I can only hope my gut instinct is wrong.

For the past several weeks, well actually over two months, Ryan has been walking on his toes. My past blog posts have talked about this issue. So, we scheduled for Ryan's Physical Therapist that he had last year (for 9 months) to come and do an evaluation. She was on vacation but last week, we finally got that scheduled for Aug. 7th. The toe walking is not a big big issue to me since from what I've read, A LOT of toddlers do it and grow out of it. However, what does have me concerned is his falling & tripping. This has been going on for a couple months as well but sporatically. For the past two weeks though it's become several times a day, every day. Ryan will be walking or running and just fall or trip over his feet. Unfortunately, I have only seen him fall occasionally and that is when he trips over his feet. It's usually the "thump" of falling that gets my attention. Clumsy you say? Well, maybe, but Dean and my mom have both seen the fall that occurs when his right leg just seems to give out. These little falls, have given Ryan several cuts & scrapes which makes me feel terrible for not being able to help. He is always on the move...especially outside, so there is just no way, Dean or I can hold onto him every second and honestly I don't think that's fair for him. He needs to run & explore, not be cooped up in his stroller and miserable but it still makes me feel terrible.

We have his 2 year well baby check up Wednesday so along with this concern, I will be bringing up other things as well. We've been blessed to have a great pediatrician and we haven't seen her since his 18 month appointment so I'm anxious to see her. Other things I'm concerned about are his poops. His poops are not and have never been formed. How are we suppose to even start thinking about potty training with this issue? Plus, at over 2 years old why would he have poops that aren't formed?Does is have something to do with his intestine? Is he possibly lactose intolerant or have a milk sensitivity? He's also still taking 2 naps a day. I know each child is different on their need for sleep but Ryan just can't seem to get by without 2 naps. On occasions when we are out doing something special, like taking him to Busch Gardens or some other fun place, we forgo the morning nap, however, we can tell he really would like to take one. He rubs his eyes and starts getting grumpy. He WILL NOT take a nap in his stroller or car seat though unless he is super duper tired! So, normally he wakes up between 6:15 & 7am and wants a nap about 9:30 or 10. He takes anywhere from a 1 hr 15 min-2 hr nap and does well until early afternoon. About 3 or 3:30pm he is ready for another nap and sleeps for another 1 hr 15 min-2 hrs. I definitely wake him up by 5:30pm since I don't want it to affect his bedtime, which is at 7:45-8pm. He sleeps 10-11 hrs at night. It just seems to me that his stamina would be better at this age. We give him Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron since he did have low iron from the time he was born (he even had 2 blood transfusions in the NICU) up until he was 9 months old. We don't give it to him every day since from past experiences it tends to clog him up. So, I'd like to get his iron checked and maybe that's the reason he is tired.

On another note, Ryan really likes his bean bag chair we got him for his birthday and the table & chair my parent's got him.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment